If you’re installing a new garage door at your Maryland home, you may be wondering what size you need. Considering the many different models of homes, there’s no standard garage door guide to follow.
There are many factors to consider, like the size of your home, how many cars you have and whether the garage is attached. Below, we discuss ways to determine the right size garage door for your home.
Standard Garage Door Sizes
When choosing the proper garage door style or size, a good way to start is by looking into the standard garage sizes. These include:
- Single: These are suitable for one vehicle, as they’re compact, typically measuring 8–10 feet wide and 7–8 feet tall.
- Double/two-car: Usually measuring 16–18 feet wide and 7–8 feet tall, two-car garages are perfect for housing two vehicles. These are also great for extra storage or workshop space if you have one car.
- RV: Often measuring 16 feet tall and 12–14 feet wide, these are ideal for anyone wishing to stash their RV.
- Three-car: As the name suggests, these can hold three vehicles comfortably, and they also offer ample storage/working space. These are typically 36–40 feet wide and 8 feet tall.
How To Measure Your Garage Door
Before you hire a professional for expert garage door installation, you may want to scope out the project yourself to get an idea of your options. It’s important to know how to measure your garage door requirements to achieve an accurate fit.
Here’s the recommended way to measure:
- Start by measuring the height and width (in feet and inches) of the “rough opening” of your garage.
- Next, measure the “sideroom” of your garage, which is the extra space to the left and right of your garage opening. These areas should be at least 3.75 inches wide each for the tracks to fit.
- Measure the “headroom,” or the space between the top of the door opening (jamb header) and the ceiling. Standard requirements need 10–12 inches of space for the extension spring.
- Lastly, measure the “backroom,” or the distance from the garage entrance to the back wall. This distance needs to equal the height of the door with an additional 18 inches.
Is the Garage Door Height Important?
The height of your garage door is important. It’s crucial that doors have enough clearance to open and close appropriately.
The most standard type of garage door sits at 7 feet high; while this is good for average-sized cars, it won’t work for larger trucks and RVs, which require additional clearance in a taller and wider garage.
Install Your New Garage Door With Accurate Insulation
When you need professional garage door installation, Accurate Insulation has you covered. With the right tools and experience under our belt, we’re confident we can properly select and install your new or replacement garage door promptly.
Our garage door installation services can help you store your car safely behind a reliable and secure garage door while increasing your home’s curb appeal.
Ready to get started? Schedule a service by calling 301-358-6411 or contacting us online. We’re eager to work with you.