Your roof serves the important purpose of protecting your home from water intrusion. But proper water drainage doesn’t end with the shingles—you also need a functional gutter system to guide rainwater away from the foundation.
Installing gutters on a new home or replacing your damaged gutters is the most cost-effective way to enjoy the following benefits:
- Better protection from water damage and stained siding
- Fewer roof leaks, foundation problems and basement floods
- Less landscaping erosion for a more beautiful garden
Your Guide to Gutter Location
The system that drains water off your roof is only effective if all the components are installed properly and in the right locations. Here are some guidelines to help you know where gutters should be installed:
- Every roof edge should feature a gutter, especially if there’s a patio, deck, driveway or sidewalk below that water could drip onto without a gutter in place.
- Slightly sloped gutters prevent standing water and ensure drainage in the right direction. Gutter runs should slope toward the downspout by about one-quarter inch for every 10 feet of gutter.
- Your home needs several downspouts. Anywhere there’s a gutter run of 40 feet or longer, the slope should start in the middle and go downward in both directions with a downspout at the end.
- Choose inconspicuous places for downspouts if possible. These areas should also be free of obstructions like hose bibs, electric meters and sidewalks.
- Oversized downspouts are needed on gutters that collect water from a large roof area.
- Attach an extension to the bottom of each downspout so the water drains several feet away from the foundation.
Need New Gutters in the DC Area? Let Accurate Insulation Help
Gutter installation is not a DIY project. Dangerous heights, specific slope requirements and the need for professional tools are all good reasons to leave the job to an expert.
At Accurate Insulation, we install seamless gutters for the highest performing, most aesthetically pleasing gutter system possible. Since we extrude gutters on site, the final product is designed specifically for your home, providing unmatched reliability. These gutters require less maintenance and last longer than traditional gutters, all while protecting your landscaping from erosion, siding from staining and basement from flooding.
Whatever your gutter needs are, trust the experienced team at Accurate Insulation to deliver! Simply contact us to schedule a free gutter installation estimate today. We serve the entire Washington, DC metropolitan area.